Wednesday 31 July 2013

The Mind Sees What it Wants to See

Self-image. This is what I will talk about today.

I will like to start off with a seemingly meagre example from my own life which might seem, as above stated, really, really meagre and petty and childish and whatnot. But, it's what got me thinking.
Heh, like always.

It was in 8th grade, (very, very long ago, indeed. It's a wonder I still remember it.) I was hanging out with my friends and one of them told me that my top lip was quite small and strange and would tease me and bully me about it. All they had to do (at parties or any event where everyone comes up really dressed up and pretty) was to point out my supposedly deformed lip and I would spend the whole time worrying about how I looked. That escalated to bullying me about my weight and all but that's another topic.

I know, I know, how this might sound, but just wait, it gets better. I promise!

In a way, you could also label it as one of the reasons of my suffering from depression. You know, with the terrible self-image and insecurity and all. But we are not here to talk about that right now.

Back to the topic, what I really want to say is that this society is shite.
Actually, that's still not what I want to say. Gosh, I take too long.

Now, my new friends can't stop gushing and admiring my lips. They think my lips are quite pretty and unique.
Just when my other friends used to tease me about them and bully me. I know, great friends. And I'm just mentioning one of the many things! Asses.

Everybody sees this world differently. Everyone has a different conception of beauty.
When you worry about getting all strands of your hair perfectly straight or that your clothes match perfectly, some other person would be dreaming about how beautiful your eyes or lips are. No one even notices. People spend too much time worrying about unnecessary things. No one cares. No one bothers.

You're perfect the way you are.
Peace out, homies!

No comments:

Post a Comment